Stuart & Gillian Hamilton are pleased to welcome you to The Maids Head Wicken. We acquired the business at the beginning of September 2012. Our Head Chef, Marc Stentiford has many years experience in the hotel and restaurant industry.
The Maids Head in Wicken is a traditional 13th century thatched pub/restaurant bursting with history and sits on the lovely village green. The Maids Head is thought to be one of the oldest pubs in Cambridgeshire.
There were originally three pubs in the village, The Red Lion opened in the late 18th century and closed in 1930s and The Black Horse closed in the 1950s. in 1983 The Maids Head, the villages’ only remaining pub, was destroyed by fire but was immediately rebuilt to its original design.
We can host private parties, weddings, birthday parties etc. In the summer we can use a marquee at the front or side of the pub for larger parties and outdoor events in this lovely village setting. Please contact us for further details.
History of Wicken
Wicken parish consists principally of fenland covering 1,604 hectares (3,964 acres) in eastern Cambridgeshire. Wicken Fen is a wetland nature reserve situated near the village of Wicken. It is one of Britain’s oldest nature reserves, and was the first reserve acquired by the National Trust, in 1899. The reserve includes fenland, farmland, marsh, and reedbeds. Wicken Fen is one of only four wild fens which still survive in the enormous Great Fen Basin area of East Anglia, where 99.9% of the former fens have now been replaced by arable cultivation.
East Cambridgeshire is known for its great quantity of archaeological findings from the Stone Age, the Bronze Age and the Iron Age. Of Wicken some Bronze Age activity is known as there are a few subsided barrows. Stone Age flint tools, Bronze Age weapons and Roman coinage have also been found in the parish as well as a few spears and other weapons from the Anglo-Saxon era.
Wicken’s relative isolation has meant that several of the late medieval and early modern timber-framed houses survive. The medieval limestone cross which formerly stood on Cross Green was unburied and reinstated there in 1973. Wicken was listed as Wicha in the Domesday Book and Wiken in around 1200. The name comes from an Old-English dative plural wícum meaning “the dwellings” or “the trading settlement.